Thursday, October 05, 2006

Garden fatigue

I have not posted much lately. I have to admit I was suffering from what is not a term I coined myself it seems. It started about August when the heat became relentless and being outdoors was heinous. That accompanied by my much lamented losses attributed to the local vermin and I find myself needing to give myself a kick in the pants and get back out there. I did actually throw some cilantro seeds in a pot last month and lo and behold I have another bunch to throw in salsa and taco salads, etc. in the works.

We had our first rain of the winter season last night. I had my window open as I enjoy the crisp late evening/early morning air and was awoken at about 1 a.m. by a pretty decent sounding downpour. For us located in the Central Valley it is a sound we have not heard since March.

My best intentions have me dreaming of lettuce, carrot and radish plantings. Maybe by committing these plans to writing I will have more motivation to get it done.

In the meantime, I am delighted with my Great Pumpkin (below)! I imported the photo of the beauty growing at my community plot to my computer wall paper to get in the fall spirit.

3 comments:

growingagardenindavis said...

One of the great things about gardening in the central valley is that we can take a break and start up again when it cools down...and the winter gardening is much less labor intensive! Hope you get your lettuce going...I'm planning to get some started this weekend. Good luck!

meg said...

Oh joy, that first rain of the season- I was actually working out in my front bed, putting in some plants, when it started sprinkling-I had to go inside & have some tea!
My hubby cleared out most of the vegetable bed, so I think we'll be putting in lettuce & carrots soon also. This will be the first time I've tried any winter stuff. Your pumpkin looks awesome!

Christine said...

Thanks for the pumpkin compliment Meg! You ladies are motivating me to get out there. Thanks!