Sunday, March 28, 2010

Impatiently Waiting

While the weather this afternoon is a pleasant 73 degrees here in the northern tip of California's Central Valley, the summer gardening season isn't quite in full swing.

Hot weather veggies like tomatoes and peppers, both the sweet and hot varieties, won't begin to flourish for a few more weeks at least when temperatures remain warm at night as well as at mid-day.

Mild weather has helped a few seedlings I've planted to germinate but the growing is slow. Daily progress is barely noticeable and I am eager for the days when plants like summer squash seemingly double in size over night. Until then, I am anxiously waiting.

Pictured are seedlings of both green and yellow summer squash, green beans, Armenian cucumbers, cosmos and nasturtiums. I've also had luck sprouting zinnias, sunflowers, alyssum, arugula, butter lettuce and turnips.

This year I hope to fulfill my resolution to keep the garden going year-round and pursue more cool-weather crops come fall.

No comments: