Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Seed Sowing Update

It has been two months since I direct sowed carrots, two types of lettuce, radishes and turnips. Sadly only the turnips are thriving.

Not a single carrot seed germinated and neither did the Iceberg lettuce. (I chose this variety only to appeal to my eldest son who has extremely limited food preferences.) While some of the Buttercrunch lettuce sprouted, it was quickly consumed by, oh slugs, birds, earwigs... (choose your favorite).

As for the radishes, well several came up but only about four have approached maturity. Most of them just quit growing and were these sad, thin, tiny things that I pulled and were later tossed by my husband who thought they were trash.

Needless to say, I am disheartened by this exercise, one of my first in direct sowing. I have also had miserable luck getting my Sugar Ann Peas to sprout, failing on two accounts. What is disappointing is that each of these are considered cool weather vegetables. Even my Sweet Peas seem stagnant after growing to only about two inches.

I hate to rush Mother Nature but I am getting itchy for some real action in the garden.

9 comments:

Jesica david said...

I suggest this site to my friends so it could be useful & informative for them also. Great effort.
florist germany

UNCLE BILL said...

For carrots, next time, try using SEED TAPE. The little carrot seeds are evenly spaced along the length
of several feet of white soluable
paper tape that you cover with a quarter inch of soil then water in.
KEEP THE SITE WET until you start seeing little sprouts. When the sprouts are about an inch tall, use your hands to sweep loose soil up onto both sides of the sprout row,
effectivly covering all but the developing feathery leaves. Make certain you thin your crop to a full palm width between individual carrots.
Good luck from Bill T. in Virginia

mrsjohn said...

Really like this website, this really helps and very useful.
flowers in australia

Allie said...

I love your planting container! I dabbled in container gardening and then did a huge in the ground garden . . . I miss the containers. So convenient. That one is great!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alana said...

Hang in there! To keep slugs away put out some beer in a shallow bowl overnight, your problem will be fixed by morning. And be patient. Did you end up having any sucess?

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jihan said...

hey nice blog, I want to do gardening some day... but I don`t have time, And am scared of slugs lol...

Unknown said...

Would love to hear how your garden turned out, as a fellow seed sprouter :)