Friday, June 05, 2009

Garden Update



The vegetable garden is thriving even after a late-season storm early Thursday morning that dumped nearly a half inch of icy rain. Typically Sacramento’s rainy season is October through April so this was different for us. This storm was also unusual in that it included nearly continuous lightening flashes and thunder so loud it shook the windows and activated car alarms all over town. Primarily I was worried it might hail. So when I heard a heavy downpour shortly after midnight I went outside to feel the precipitation. It had a slushy feel to it but I don’t believe we got hail in our area and the garden survived intact. A retired National Weather Service meteorologist described the event as “the most impressive display of lightening I have ever seen,” according to The Sacramento Bee. The storm lasted at least two hours as I was awakened after 3 a.m. by similar storm characteristics.

All of our tomato plants have grown considerably since planting on May 10 (top photo). Heights of the plants range from 12 inches to about 27 inches (lower photo). All have blossomed as have all the pepper varieties, the eggplant, zucchini and cucumbers.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We didn't get any thunder and lightening from that system and just a trace of rain. Actually, I was quite relieved, I had visions of lightening started fires like we had last year.

Your tomatoes are looking great!

Christine said...

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for stopping by! I know what you mean about lightning. Last year's fires created an incredible amount of smog not to mention property damage.

I'm so looking forward to fresh, ripe tomatoes but am not looking forward to losing any to the birds. There are a couple of scrub jays that live in my yard that like to peck into the best specimens. Heartbreaking! Have you dealt with this issue?